History

In 1859, a group of compassionate artists and business leaders gathered to help working artists and their families in cases of emergency and financial need. Originally formed as the "Helpful Society," the group organized formally as the "Artists' Mutual Aid Society", and in 1925 changed its name to Artists' Fellowship, Inc. 

Through the conservative management of bequests and donations received, The Artists' Fellowship has steadily expanded its ability to help professional fine artists in times of emergency.

You can read more about our organization in an article that was published in Fine Art Connoisseur in 2018 by Jonathan Harding

Presidents of the Fellowship

J . G. Brown 1882 - 1890

Thomas W. Wood 1890 - 1898

Bolton Jones 1898 - 1903

Joseph Lauber 1903 - 1910

Francis C. Jones 1910 - 1917

Joseph Lauber 1917 - 1930

Charles L. Hinton 1930 - 1935

J . Redding Kelly 1935 - 1938

Silvio B. Valerio 1938 - 1943

Henry O'Connor 1943 - 1950

Francis V. Kughler 1950 - 1953

Henry O'Connor 1953 - 1954

Silvio B. Valerio 1954 - 1955

Carl Wuermer 1956 - 1957

Robert Barrett 1958 - 1961

Salvatore Indiviglia 1962 - 1964

Robert Barrett 1965 - 1967